Pre-school Room (3 to 5 Years)
In the Pre-school Room your child will have the opportunity to experience a range of activities which meet all eight areas of the curriculum. Your child will be introduced to early reading, writing, maths and science skills. These activities are delivered in a fun, relaxed manner allowing all children to learn naturally through play. Each child is encouraged to learn at their own pace within their own capabilities.
Parents can keep up to date with their childrens learning and development through their learning journals. Once your child has commenced their placement, we will forward you details in how you can login to your child’s individual journal.
Pre-school Room Activities
The children in the Pre-school Room can participate in all the activities mentioned previously for the under 3’s although these activities are more structured in the Pre-school Room and offered at a level suited to their age.
In the Pre-school Room your child will also have the opportunity to experience:
- Interest Tables e.g. a harvest table with wheat, flour, bread or a beach table with shells, sand, pebbles, seaweed. The children are encouraged to experiment and explore the items on the table freely.
- Writing Table – to introduce your child to mark making and ‘writing’ using a variety of pens and pencils. Your child will be encouraged to use the writing table freely which develops pencil control for more formal writing later.
- Science Experiments e.g. simply showing the children that flowers ‘drink’ water by placing a white flower in a vase of coloured water – the flower will become the colour of the water.
- Computer Skills – your child will have access to a computer, printer and digital camera in the Pre-school Room. Interactive, educational software helps your child learn basic mouse skills such as point, click, point and drag, scrolling etc. Your child will be able to take their own photographs and print them out to include in their portfolio if they wish. There are also many other interactive games and resources available for your child to use.
The Curriculum for Excellence (3 to 18 Years)
The Curriculum for Excellence was introduced within a strong partnership between the Scottish Government, Learning and Teaching Scotland, Scottish Qualifications Authority and HM Inspectorate of Education to ensure pre-school children’s developmental needs are met. The emphasis is on learning through quality play experiences in a relaxed atmosphere. There are eight areas of the curriculum:
- Health and Wellbeing
- Language and Literacy
- Mathmatics and Numeracy
- Expressive Arts
- Religious and Moral Education
- Social Studies
The Curriculum for Excellence aims to:
Focus playroom practice upon the child and around the four capacities of education:
- successful learners
- confident individuals
- responsible citizens
- effective contributors
Encourage more learning through experiences
Create a single framework for the curriculum and assessment aged 3 to 18 years.
Should you require any further information please feel welcome to contact the nursery or visit: www.curriculumforexcellencescotland.gov.uk